Renewing Your Accreditation or Recognition
Rationale for Renewal
The renewal process is intended to serve as a mechanism to ensure that your organization continues to adhere to the Standards for Excellence®: An Ethics and Accountability Code for the Nonprofit Sector in your operations and governance and that you have utilized a continuous improvement process to undertake higher levels of excellence within your own organization. It is our goal to make this renewal process as simple and reasonable as possible.
Because this is considered to be a continuous improvement process, in some cases a policy or procedure that was in place at your last application may no longer be acceptable. In some cases, policies that have not been reviewed since your last application may need to be reviewed again prior to submission to ensure their continued relevance, applicability and compliance with updated laws or regulations. Other matters that may affect what needs to be updated in your application include:
- There have been changes to the organization’s size, budget, number of employees or volunteers, or other operational structures and processes.
- The policy or document needs updated simply because of the passage of time and changes in leadership.
- If your organization has undergone a significant change in the organizational structure (e.g., a merger), please describe this process and explain how the organization implements the Standards in its new structure.
Addressing expectations from previous application
Your application should include information describing how your organization has addressed any expectations from your organization’s previous application. A copy of your latest Standards Seal Award Letter, which includes your expectations, will be provided to you upon request. You may also address any observations made on your previous application.
Application Fee and Licensing Agreement
Your application fee and annual licensing fee are based on budget size and membership status. The fee schedule is posted to www.standardsforexcellence.org/accreditation-and-recognition . Members of Maryland Nonprofits should click the indicated link for a customized fee schedule. Fees changed at January 1, 2013, so you may be paying a different amount than you did the last time.
Once approved, the duration of your licensing Agreement will be five years, with a licensing fee due each year in the first quarter. You will be invoiced separately for the annual licensing fee.
Steps to Renew
- Check your license to confirm the end date. your application will be due four months prior to the end of your current license
- Create or login to your account at our online system, sfei.fluidreview.com and submit an intent to apply to indicate your planned deadline
- Review the Self-Assessment
- Review applicable sample application (linked below)
- Make a plan to implement any needed organizational changes
- Reach out for help when you need it (schedule a call with Accreditation Director Melissa Sines)
- Plan to submit your application by your stated deadline
Creating an account on the homepage of this website will give you access to a free online self-assessment. This self assessment contains all of the actual criteria that evaluators use when they are reviewing your application. Other self-assessment options are described here. When you have completed the assessment, you will be able to download a copy to share with other leaders in your organization. The self-assessment will help you identify areas for growth and choose which application process is right for your organization.
Organizations who are currently accredited will need to demonstrate that the they meet all of the Standards for Excellence benchmarks by applying for accreditation. Click here for an overview of the application process.
A reference copy of the application form can be found here. Please note this application must be submitted online.
V2.0 Full Accreditation Application Form
Organizations that are currently recognized at Standards Basics or Standards Basics Enhanced may renew at the same tier or may choose to move up a tier. Click here for an overview of the tiered application process.
Reference copies of the tiered application forms can be downloaded below. Please note, these applications must be submitted online.
A full description of the program and process is available in our Accreditation and Recognition Program Procedures Manual.